Think you have to give up the traditional tastes of summer to eat healthily? Think again, and try our tasty — and low-fat — a recipe for Summer’s classic potato salad!
- 3 pounds small red new potatoes
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise (Helman’s Low-fat is delicious)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey mustard (or plain mustard)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- Diced onion (optional)
- Green and Red Bell Pepper diced (optional)
- Celery diced (optional)
- Dice potatoes into bite size cubes. Cook potatoes in a large pan of boiling water 8 to 12 minutes or just until they can easily be pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. Drain.
- Rinse potatoes in a strainer with cool water.
- Put the diced onion, bell peppers, and celery to a large bowl.
- Add potatoes in large bowl to the onion, bell peppers, and celery to bring out the flavor.
- Toss with vinegar, salt, and pepper; set aside to cool.
- Mix yogurt, mayonnaise, and mustard in a small dish. Add to potatoes along with chives and mix lightly. Add additional light salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve or chill until serving time.
For Festive coloring add some food dye to the yogurt, mayo based mix to add more color to your potato salad.
YIELD: Approximately Yields 8 servings.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 156 calories, 3 grams protein, 0.88 grams fat, 35 grams carbohydrates, 0.86 milligrams cholesterol, 19 milligrams sodium, 5 percent calories from fat.